CAN Europe zoekt Buildings Policy Coordinator
Climate Action Network Europe is looking for a full-time (or 4/5)
Buildings Policy Coordinator for an open-ended contract
Climate Action Network Europe (CAN Europe), recognised as Europe's leading network working on climate and energy issues, is currently seeking a highly motivated, dynamic and results-driven Buildings Policy Coordinator to join our team in Brussels. This position will offer the successful candidate an opportunity to be at the center of the largest movement for global change that will affect people and the planet for centuries to come.
The successful candidate will work on several topics related to EU buildings policies, including the coordination of NGO engagement on the Renovation Wave and related legislative initiatives relevant to the improvement of the energy performance and the decarbonisation of buildings in Europe. She or he will thereby closely work together with other policy coordinators in the CAN Europe team, and with experts in the broad CAN Network all over Europe.
- Minimum 3 years relevant professional experience;
- Working knowledge of EU institutions and processes as well as expertise on the EU building policy development
- Familiarity with broader climate, renewable energy and energy efficiency policies at the European and national level;
- Experience of working with NGOs, preferably in a network environment;
- Experience in advocacy work;
- Excellent interpersonal and team-working skills, time management, flexibility, and reliability;
- Ability to produce results according to schedule and respecting deadlines;
- Fluent written and spoken English; excellent communication skills;
- Ability to work on multiple issues in parallel.
- Experience with EU circular economy policy development;
- Experience in fundraising and reporting would be an asset;
- Experience in writing research papers, reports.
Main duties will include
- Undertake and support advocacy and outreach activities related to EU buildings policy development and related legislative initiatives, in particular those relevant to the improvement of the energy performance and the decarbonisation of buildings in Europe;
- Plan advocacy opportunities and together with NGOs in our network develop an advocacy strategy as well as a network position on priorities for the decarbonisation of buildings, increasing renovations and moving to a fully renewable based heat supply;
- Monitor the implementation of existing policies on buildings such as the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive and the development of the national long-term renovation strategies
- Represent our network and do advocacy work;
- Engage with relevant stakeholders working on issues relevant to buildings policies such as research institutes, think tanks, the private sector and local authorities and actors.
- Contribute to fundraising efforts related to relevant policy dossiers.
This position is based in the CAN Europe secretariat, which houses our team of 25 staff members, in Mundo-B, the sustainable NGO office space near the St. Boniface neighbourhood of Brussels. The bright, sunny office provides an exciting work environment with a restaurant serving organic food, an outdoor terrace, two gardens and plentiful bike-parking spaces.
This full time or 4/5 position is based on a Belgian open-ended contract. Please note that the title of Coordinator refers to CAN Europe's role as coordinator of our 170+ members network and not to internal management responsibilities. Remuneration for the job will be between 3400 and 4100 Euro gross/month (Full time equivalent) depending on the years of relevant experience (from 0 to 20 years) and subject to Belgian taxes. Extra benefits include lunch vouchers (7EUR/day), culture & eco vouchers (30EUR/month), phone compensation (39EUR) & full reimbursement of local transport costs.
To apply, please send a letter of motivation and CV in English to email@example.com with “Buildings Policy Coordinator” as subject line.
The letter of motivation should clearly demonstrate why you want the job, stating why you wish to work for a climate NGO and how your skills and experience are relevant to the job requirements detailed above
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 3 June at midnight (CET)
First round of Interviews preferably between 8 and 12 June (online)
Second round of Interviews preferably between 22 & 26 June
Expected start date: as soon as possible thereafter
Inquiries to Lionel Dehalu, Head of Operations, firstname.lastname@example.org
CAN Europe Job description
Buildings Policy Coordinator
Goal of Position
Inform, advocate, coordinate with and represent the members of CAN Europe on relevant policy issues
Main Functions &
Policy process monitoring and dissemination :
- Support member organisations and become the interface between members and the European institutions on the development of EU policies related to the improvement of the energy performance and the decarbonisation of buildings;
- Gather intelligence on and follow up of EU policy development and positions of EU member states;
- Develop advocacy strategies and NGOs positions
- Undertake and support advocacy and outreach on specific issues related to buildings policies and broader relevant climate and energy issues;
- Coordinate research work;
- Contribute to preparation of briefings and papers for policy makers.
- Engage with relevant stakeholders such as research institutes, think tanks, the private sector and local authorities and actors
Coordination of network positions and strategies :
- Support in the coordination of CAN Europe members;
- Produce regular updates for the network and the website;
- Engage in support for advocacy work on CAN Europe’s broader political strategy as required.
Representation and outreach :
- Represent the network and do advocacy work targeted towards the European institutions on policy issues related to the improvement of the energy performance and the decarbonisation of buildings.
Fundraising and reporting :
- Contribute to fundraising efforts related to relevant policy files;
- Regularly report on activities through the CAN Europe reporting system and for individual projects and grants as required;
- Provide input to other fundraising and reporting activities as required.
Input to internal affairs:
Participate in team-wide processes and matters relevant to the organisation as a whole as required;
Support the preparation and implementation of joint events and network efforts such as the General Assemblies as required;
Serve as back-up for specific policy issues in cases of longer absence of other policy colleagues (on the basis of arrangements with the Director and other policy colleagues).
Support interns, as appropriate
This position is line managed by the Director
Full-time or 4/5
Indication on split between areas and responsibilities below
% of Time
Main team responsibilities
Administration and finances
Management and planning
Communication and representation
Capacity and outreach
Policy work and coordination
% of Time
Fundraising and reporting
Vermeld bij je sollicitatie dat je de vacature op de website van Bond Beter Leefmilieu gevonden hebt.