WWF zoekt Biodiversity Policy Officer
As Biodiversity Policy Officer for WWF Belgium, you are part of our National Programmes team where you ensure biodiversity policies are designed and implemented in a way that promote biodiversity conservation, including the post-2020 Belgian biodiversity strategy and Convention on Biological Diversity.
You are responsible for carrying out policy and advocacy missions on biodiversity matters according to department objectives, i.e., Forests, Oceans, Wildlife, Climate, Food, Freshwater.
Working in tight collaboration with other Policy Officers and with the National Programmes Director, you will promote WWF’s views to the Belgian decision-makers, NGOs, businesses, and other stakeholders.
You will also help design and deliver successful actions and campaigns aiming to achieve the policy priorities of the National Programmes Department strategy. The mission can encompass all the elements of advocacy work, such as designing the advocacy strategy, investigations, writing policy notes, meeting politicians, communications actions, network development etc.
- Implement advocacy missions towards decision-makers in the political, business and civil society sectors in order to influence them in their decision-making.
- Conceive the advocacy strategy for biodiversity related issues and define the priority actions
- Analyze the different legislations and follow political files according to WWF’s strategic objectives
- Compile information to ensure the scientific basis of WWF positions & use the best available science to advocate for our objectives
- Produce notes, articles, documents to build the position to be defended
- Consult with partners and civil society actors and develop a common position
- Initiate contacts and negotiates with decision-makers (politicians, trade unions, companies, etc.), formalize agreements
- Provide advice, information and recommendations, in an advisory capacity, to the evaluation of partnerships with enterprises
- Represent WWF to promote and defend its positions
- Represent the WWF (in working groups / federations, events ...) in relation to its expertise
- Ensure WWF's presence in important decisions and negotiations in order to be recognized as indispensable actor
- Give presentations and interview for their theme
- Attend different events to form a network
- Develop their knowledge on biodiversity issues and on advocacy work in order to guarantee the level of expertise of the WWF and to provide a content support to the various departments
- Conduct research on a thematic or area of expertise related to biodiversity, learn about their progress and current affairs
- Build your network of expertise including the WWF network
- Provide content on its theme / area of expertise to other departments
- Contribute to the definition of messages (press, campaigns, publications ...) related to his / her area of expertise
- Check and read texts to ensure consistency and accuracy of content
- Identify interfaces between WWF topics and advocacy opportunities for WWF
- A Master degree in a relevant field is required
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience in Policy & Public Affairs and ademonstrated experience in successfully influencing decision-making processes
- Good knowledge of Biodiversity conservation relevant laws at both national and international levels
- Demonstrated experience in building coalitions to support your advocacy plan
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage meetings and represent our organisation externally.
- Knowledge of wildlife protection and trafficking is nice to have
- Excellent communicator: you can be called to be spokesperson on specific topics
- Experience of synthesising complex information, regulations and policies and translating them into actionable, impactful and easily understood advice and communications
- Demonstrated ability in project management
- Fluent in French and/or Dutch and very good command of the other national language and English.
- A permanent, full-time contract
- An attractive salary package including meal vouchers, group insurance, hospitalization insurance, total refund of public transportation costs;
- A flexible working environment adapted to COVID restrictions: either from home with all the ad hoc IT equipment, or in our pleasant office in the heart of Brussels, easily accessible by public transports;
- The opportunity to contribute to WWF's mission and share our values to which you adhere naturally.
Interested? Send your updated CV and cover letter through the link below before 1st of March 2021.